Today is my wedding anniversary…33 years and counting. I can say the “secret” is something called commitment. Commitment to:
• The love I said I had – I have to continue to find it, express it and show it
• Her needs and not my own – love is all about the other person, not me
• Looking for ways to serve her – sacrificially and unselfishly
• Searching for solutions and not just the problem
• My role as husband – we are equal persons with different roles
• Obeying God
And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.” (Matthew 19:4-6 NKJV)
• Fight for my marriage – times are hard, temptations are everywhere, it’s easy to give up…fight!
I know it’s hard. I see it every day, listen to the accounts of people in relationships…I understand. It doesn’t have to be, but I understand divorce. I have also seen the pain it causes. And the pain of any good relationship that breaks up. I know that, in some extreme cases, it is unavoidable and at times best. But it is not the plan from the beginning.
In marriage, as in everything in life, commitment is the key.
(From Thursday Morning B.R.E.W. For 6/5/14)